What This World Needs

Last night at work my last client of the day was this 15 year old boy that was in an accident. I was told he was an angry kid and was rude and down right mean. I was thinking oh great just what I needed to finish my day. Well the kid and his mom come in about 5pm and she is pushing him in a wheel chair I look at the report again and it didn't say anything about this kid being in a chair so I was asking them the typical questions and his mom said he refuses to get out of the chair before the accident he wasn't in it. So I ask her all the question and then I told her where the waiting room was she could get some coffee in there and watch on the monitors or come back her if she liked. I have to be honest she took off like a bat out of hell when I said that I thought boy this kid must be hell and I am in for it.
I told the kid where he could go an change before we started he was like I can't change by myself I'm in this chair. I was like great I am gonna have to change this kid not on my list of things to do. So I go with him to the changing room and I ask him if can stand at all? He was like real shitty said no what do you think? So I told him that we could either try to get his shorts on or I could talk to his mom and turn the monitors off and he could just do the therapy in the nude I told him some of my other clients do it in the nude coz it's easier for them. He was like no I want shorts on it's bad enough that your skinny ass has to see my fat. I was shocked I am like no he didn't just say that. So I was like weight has nothing to do with it. He said for you no look at you your skinny he said look at me you think it don't matter?
I told him to me know it don't matter and it shouldn't matter to anyone else but I understand that it does. I ask him is the problem with you not walking after the accident because of your weight? He told me the the accident was because of the weight and not getting up was because of it also. He told me he was tired of being picked on by other kids and tired of not having any friends tired of being fat. I was in shocked I was thinking about myself in school and the bulling I went through I understood where this kid was coming from we were just alike in many ways bullied just different causes. I told him I totally understood how he feels I also was bullied I told him I don't know how kids can be so mean but not all of them were but the thing to do is make yourself better first and then make yourself a better person and when you get older you will see that you will be better off than any of them bully's can every be.
It's just so sad cause I feel this boy pain as most of you do I'm sure I don't know why kids are so mean I do believe that some of it's cause they way they are raised. I do also believe that kids can be raised right and still be mean I have seen it first hand. But most the time it starts at home. I did get this boy to do his therapy and by the end of it he was smiling and looking forward to coming back I also told him that he has a friend in me if he wants it. He mom was happy also said she didn't know what I said but was happy he was happy. I was wondering if I should talk to her about his weight and that its making him feel bad about himself maybe she could get him to like a weight control doctor or maybe a lapband or something. Every time I hear something like this or see something like this also brings me back to that song Don't Laugh at Me I totally believe in that song. I just wish we didn't have the bulling and hatred going on in this world. What a better world we could have!

Don't laugh at me
Don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
Someday we'll all have perfect wings
Don't laugh at me


Later from Tampa Bay!
8 Responses
  1. I love that song but it always brings tears. I wish we had no bullies in this world. I love what you did for that boy Ryan.


  2. naturgesetz Says:

    Sounds as if you did a good job with him. Good to let him open up to you. I don't think I'd have the patience.


  3. A Lewis Says:

    Hey Ry,
    you're one hell of a good man. the world needs to clone you and multiply you a million times!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    You have such a good heart and sweet soul, Ryan--a natural caregiver. Whatever path you take in the future, I hope you continue to use these gifts!

    peace and hugs...


  5. Laurie Says:

    I tried to leave a message a while
    ago and it didn't work....SO..

    My Little Man...WHO SAYS FOOD IS
    YUCKY!!!!! One of these days you're
    going to look in the mirror and see
    the things that others see in you..
    NOT the things you see in yourself.
    Ya know, it's one thing to say to
    someone that they need to have a
    better out look and more self
    esteme when you yourself can't....
    HELLO!!! Yeah, I may be 'MOM' but
    you are MY WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL
    and LOVING boy....You are just
    perfect to me....So you know....
    Don't pick on yourself either....
    I don't wanna hear your excuses..
    They are like buttholes...EVERYBODY
    HAS ONE....
    You need to think and see that you
    are just like that young man some
    times...It's like no matter what
    I say it goes in one ear and out
    the other....

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Here is the song you remind me of: "You are so Beautiful to me". stup-ed


  7. Steevo Says:

    I heard Peter Yarrow sing that song years ago. I downloaded it from Itunes but I don't seem to be able to email it to anyone. I'd like to post it on my blog... His introduction to the song before he played it was riveting.

    any hints out there?


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Ryan, it sounds to me like you've found your calling. Good job with that boy. Now convince him to to get outta that chair and get healthy and lose some weight. I know you can do it.