Teen Kidnaps Puppy To Save It From Euthanasia

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- A New Zealand teenager faced legal action after he stole his own injured puppy from a clinic to save it from euthanasia when the family couldn't afford expensive surgery after it was hit by a car.

The story appears headed for a happy ending, however. The public rallied to the plight of Bronson Stewart and 5-month-old puppy Buck on Wednesday, raising money to save the dog by paying the bill, local media reported.

After Buck was hit by a car two weeks ago neither Stewart, 19, nor his father Kevin could afford the 2,500 New Zealand dollars ($1,730) for the puppy's broken leg to be pinned back together or the $555 (NZ$800) for the leg to be amputated.

The family, which lives on welfare in the North Island city of Wanganui, instead offered to pay the veterinary clinic $3.50 a week, but the clinic declined.

The veterinarian then refused to return the pup, saying it was best the little dog be euthanized because he was in agony.

"I just knew I had to get my dog back. He's like my brother," Stewart told TV One's "Closeup" program Wednesday. "They can't just kill him because I haven't got any money."

Stewart went to the veterinary clinic last Friday and asked to see Buck, grabbed the little dog and ran home.

New Zealand's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) then threatened the teenager with prosecution for cruelty to an animal unless he got veterinary care for the dog, which was suffering considerable pain.

A determined Stewart said he would rather be put behind bars than see his dog put down. "I'll go to jail for my dog," he told TV One.

After the story was publicized, local people rallied to Buck's aid.

Wanganui SPCA manager Val Waters told New Zealand Press Association that people had donated $624 to save Buck and the office had fielded "hundreds" of calls from people offering further donations.

That should be enough to pay for the surgery to repair Buck's leg, according to Waters.

"The dog will be just fine," Waters said.

By The Associated Press


I personally want to say shame on New Zealand's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) instead of them threaten this boy with prosecution for trying to save his dog they should have offered to help. I feel this is a bad call and a black on on SPCA of New Zealand. Everyone knows I support all animal rights groups and doing some work and projects for two groups here in America but I will be the first to call a group out when they are wrong and this one in New Zealand was very wrong.

Oh and the veterinary clinic shame on you also they tried to set up payment and you refused I know stuff cost money and I know people can't work for free but if somebody is willing you should help it's the right thing to do.

To this boy thank you for caring so much for your dog. You was willing to go to jail if I knew you and knew how I would set up some kind fund for you to make sure your dog has food and money for its care I wish there were more people like you!
5 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I can not believe that they would put a 5 month old dog down instead of healing the dog. Unacceptable. I am glad the people in his town or surrounding towns pitched in to help.

    Paul


  2. Malcolm Says:

    First a huge well done to this lad and to his neighbours there is at least a happy ending to this sorry tale.

    Shame on the SPCA, the Vetinary clinic and any one else who would so casually throw away a lfe and threaten to prosecute a boy who just loves his dog and can't bear the thought of losing him.

    Mac


  3. Wow. This story really sent me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I'm grateful for people like that boy who care enough about life to do something brave like that.

    I'm even crying at my desk at work.

    Thanks for sharing.


  4. ryan field Says:

    This is a really good post, Ryan

    I went to the vet yesterday for two rabies shots and two exams for my two dogs. They charged me 285.00 for fifteen minutes of their time. I used to buy frontline at the vet, until he started charging fifty dollars for a three month supply. I can get triple the amount, online, for the same cost.
    What vets are doing is outrageous. Most people can't afford their prices, and they play upon the emotions of people who can afford their prices and take full advantage.

    Needless to say, I'm switching vets after this. But I think this whole thing is a growing concern across the board, especially here in the US.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Ryan Field is so right about these
    vets taking advantage of the pet owners here in the US but I guess
    it's the same everywhere.

    I used to live in Delaware and had
    a country vet that was all about
    treat the pet first then we'll discuss payment. Ususally the office charge was $10. If there was something serious enough for surgery there was no office charge.
    Spay and neutering was $30. Rabbies
    shots were free! If you had a litter of puppies he would make a house call when he made his farm rounds and give the puppies their
    parvo shots for about $5 ea !
    He drove a basic pickup truck not a BMW or Lexus like many vets today.
    Now that I live in Florida the cost to neuter a cat or dog runs about $225 ! One vet locally told
    me since I was a new customer I would have to pay in advance but they would have to put a $500 charge on my card in case there were complications from the surgery. I was shocked and told the girl at the desk in a very loud voice for the waiting room and the vet in the back to hear that obviously the vet was incompetent if those surgeries had
    complications.
    As for the story in the post I feel
    the vet was responsible for the dog being in pain as they should have given it pain meds right away.
    They are the ones who need to be sued for inhumane treatment! To the dog as well as the boy.
    By the way pet lovers many antibiotics and meds for pets cross over into meds for humans and will work just as well. Many are available from Walmart on the $4-$10 list. Here is Florida the Publix supermarket chain offers many meds free! The med dispensing
    business at the vet brings in as much money as the diagnosis side of the business...maybe more.
    Thanks for writing this blog Ryan.
    I have 2 dogs (brother and sister)
    15 years old. Nellie has 3 legs.
    One front leg was shot off by a
    hunter in Delaware. Also have lots
    of cats. Several were rescued during the hurricanes of 04 and have had offspring.
    PS Hope your brother is making progress.