1940's

Wow I was surprised by the comments from yesterday post and how many of you liked it and would also would have loved to go back and check the old west out! My next trip the only one to guess it was my friend Naomi from Here in the Hills the 40's there is so much that draws me to this era the car's the Hollywood movie stars the war just so much in that era not to leave out Nascar it was formed in 1948 I know hard to believe it's been around that long. The leaders of the world were just so neat back then seems like they all had ideas some of them bad but they still are interesting people. The Hollywood stars were stars back then nothing like the movie stars of today back then they were classy they kept there home life quite for the most part and people wanted more of them. I did find a book about gay life in the 40's it's called The Evening Crowd at Kirmser's I check out what I could about it online it sounded so good I had to order it. I was thinking about using this book as something we could pass forward. How it would work after I read it I would pass it forward to the next person and they pass it on this would go on until all that wanted to read it did then the last person send it back to me maybe after you read if you have a blog you post aboutit if you dont have a blog maybe you could do a paper on it put it in the book and one of us that have a blog could post your thoughts on our blogs for ya. Let me know what you think about that idea not much more to say gonna let the pics speak!Later from Florida!
9 Responses
  1. Carl Says:

    I have two time periods.

    I would like to go back to visit ancient Egypt. The time of the Pharaohs fascinates me.

    I would also go back to year 3 B.C. or year 0. I want to see if it is true.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Judy Garland in Meet me in St. Louis was the cat's meow! ed


  3. i LOVE that I called it, Ryan...! LOL! It was a fascinating time period and one I have lived through...I LOVED the movies then and the reason the Movie Stars lives were so private was because of The Studio System. The Studios were protecting their "commodities" so ALL types of scandel was hushed up and/or disappeared completely by the powerful studios and their "clean-up squads", so to speak. When the Studio System died, all that protection died with it...There are some books about the people who did this kind of Clean-Up work, which you might be interested in reading. They are kind of gossipy and who knows how accurate they are, but it will give you an idea about those days and the power of these Studios...Payoffs to the Polioce; Payoffs to the Newspapers, etc., etc....

    One particular book I was thinking of is: "THE FIXERS" about Eddie Mannix, Howard Strckling and the MGM Publicity Machine, by E.J. Fleming. Published by McFarland...I believe it is available on Amazon.

    This book you found sounds very interesting. I've not heard of it before....I will have to check it out.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I would like to go back to the
    early '20s...I know I said that I
    would like to be in the 1930's to
    1950's...I would liked to be around
    for the first 'TALKIES'...The
    first movies with voice overs...

    Have a great weekend...

    Love,

    'mom'


  5. ryan field Says:

    The book idea sounds good to me.

    I like the forties, especially the cars. I like big cars.


  6. naturgesetz Says:

    I thought your second time might have been when Jesus was alive, but I certainly understand your choice. I was just a little boy then (born in 1943), but it was a good time.

    I don't know what I'd chose. Maybe England in the 1400's, before 1485, when the Plantagenets were still kings and society was pretty settled. And possibly colonial New England, when my first ancestors on this side of the Atlantic were beginning their lives here — or better, in the time of the second generation, when they had an established way of life. I like a time without too much turmoil.


  7. I think the mid-1800's is as far as i'd go back but I LOVE retro. Love it!
    The '40's always remind me of Mickey Spillane novels and sweethearts waiting on their guys to come back from the World War & Korean War.


  8. I love the book idea! I did something like that in the past and it worked out great. Kinda sounds like "The sisterhood of the traveling pants." ^_^ Ive never heard of this book before but I will definitely have to check n see if its at my library first.

    I have another period and that would be seeing the garden of eden, adam and eve. Smack them in the head and stomp on the snake lol.

    But like some of you were saying. The 40's-50's were amazing times. I would never want to go to the future unless I was like really old and close to dying. But the future as they say is the future. You either live it or you don't.

    Angel


  9. I guess you understand as a German I have no desire to live at that time. My never known grandfather’s both died in the 40‘s (usually I don’t like links in comments, but if you want to see a picture of one of them - http://martininbroda.blogspot.com/2008/09/ber-vergangenes.html).