Face to Face

Last night me and Kadin had a speaking engagement with a youth group. This was Kadin's first time and I have done it before a few times mainly in the Atlanta area once at Atlanta Pride and for the Trevor Project in Miami. This was special it was for local kids and normally helping kids in my own town I don't get to do much. The group is called Face to Face and its for LGBT kids one of the members of the board I know and she has been such a wonderful lady. She also knows about this blog and has told the kids there about my blog. When she ask last month if me and Kadin would come and speak at the Christmas party I was like sure we will do it. Kadin is a shy type and takes a while before he normally opens up I was a little worried about him and being able to talk with these kids.

When we got there they ask us to talk a little about growing up gay having like my parents that totally was cool about and Kadin's that said they were but had issues and how there getting better now. They ask if I mind talking about my dui and the wreck talk about me and Kadin and our love. Then if we didn't mind they would have the kids ask some questions. Well I started with the blog and growing up and being bullied and getting beat up for being what they thought was different. I talk about the wreck and the drinking and how dumb it was show them my scars from the new terminator knee I never let anyone see that ugly part of me but thought it would help them. Kadin talk about being in the closet for years and hiding ex boyfriends so he didn't disappoint his parents. He talked about suicide. This took me by surprise I never knew he had never told me he thought about that before.

I should have know I think that every teen gay kid thinks about it. I know I did it crossed my mind a few times but I just knew that wasn't the answer. Then we open it up to questions and man the question. There were the typical question where we meet, how long we been together, how long we lived together. Had a few ask if we were going to get married what did we think about the marriage laws. The one that took us both by surprise was the sex questions mainly asking about anal and if we used condoms. These kids are from 12 to 18 mainly these kids were like 14 to 16 that came and asking about anal and protection. It scared me that most of them said they have unprotected sex. That to me is just so scary I have done this in the past myself but not just meeting someone I make sure that I'm going to be with this person for a long time. Me and Kadin have unprotected sex but we didn't when we first met. With all the knowledge kids are still putting themselves at risk I don't get it.

Real quick I want to give a special thanks to Charles from the Trevor Project for all his support and the pamphlets and stuff he sent to help me with this speaking engagement. If you can show them some support they do great work.

Later!
9 Responses
  1. naturgesetz Says:

    Congrats on that speaking engagement. It sounds as if you and Kadin did a great job.

    Also, I just read your post from yesterday, and that's a beautiful poem.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I'm so glad you met with these young kids. If I had been able to talk to another gay person my teen years would have been much better. All I ever heard was that being Homosexual is a sin and God hates them. Now I know this is a big lie. God loves all his children. I too contemplated suicide. I went so far as putting a loaded .357 magnum pistol against my head. I guess I was too much of a nerd to even do that right. You are one in ten million, Ryan. Hugs, ed


  3. Mr. Urs Says:

    Thanks for getting involved, we need more like you and Kadin.


  4. hb9 Says:

    Ryan-
    That's so great that you guys were able to share. I can only imagine the help that is. Trevor Project is a great organization- it is so true that ever gay teenager goes through a feeling of being different and alone. They have to know there are other people out there that can support them.

    Cheers to you and Kadin-

    -ry-


  5. Jen Says:

    I thought things were getting easier and people were more accepting. I guess not that much easier. Kids not protecting themselves is scary.


  6. elise Says:

    I hope you inspire your gay readers to follow your example and reach out to help gay kids in some fashion (if they're not already doing it).

    I know it sounds corny, but you and Kadin gave those kids a wonderful Christmas gift--yourselves!

    Extra Hugs to both of you!


  7. Unknown Says:

    Ryan, you and Kadin ROCK - that is SO cool that you did that. Hope my xmas card gets there in time lol

    Merry Christmas!

    AZ Denny


  8. Cash Says:

    Awesome. Had no idea stuff like this existed. Very solid.


  9. ryan field Says:

    You're doing a great thing!!